Friday, September 4, 2015

Welcome to the World

"Family: where life begins and love never ends."-- Unknown

August 14, 2003, I remember it like it was yesterday. The day my first nephew was born and my family added another member. I remember sitting in the waiting room in the old hospital with the soon to be first time grandma. My nephew was born by c-section at 12:23 in the afternoon. I could tell by the cry it was my nephew coming down the hall with my brother and the doctor. I remember see the tears of joy streaming down my mother and brothers face as we came face to face with the little guy. I chose this example because of the way it made me feel and the fact that I was able to be to see my nephew within minutes of him being born. I remember so many little details about that day. I have always wanted to have children. I believe that children are impacted from the very first moments of life. Attachment starts from the first hugs and first kisses.

I researched birth traditions in China. I found that childbirth traditions in China starts when the husband of the newly wed couple carries the new bride over hot coals into there house to ensure a successful labor. There are also different things that pregnant Chinese women avoid doing and eating such as: does not gossip, lose her temper, eat food that has been improperly mashed or cut, or attend a funeral. I found it very interesting that the baby shower does not occur until after the baby is born for the fear it is bad luck. I love how involved the grandparents are in the process of buying things for the baby. I remember attending my nephews baby shower and being an active participate at the party. I remember waiting in the waiting room for my nephew to be born. However, in China the grandparents do not visit the child until after the third day.   (Brown, http://www.babble.com/pregnancy/childbirth-traditions-china/)

I like some of the traditions that China has for childbirth, I do believe that one could mix some of the normal American traditions with that of Chinese culture.

"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The women existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."-- Rajneesh

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sara,
    Nice post! Even Indian tradition is somewhat alike traditions in China. In India, girls are asked not to gossip and not lose our temper, but instead pray to God. Even we are not allowed to attend a funeral when the women are pregnant. We have baby showers in seventh month of pregnancy and grandparents are actively involved during all occasions. They guide us throughout our pregnancy and also often the birth of a child. I remember my mom telling me, that when we are pregnant, we should not see action movies as the baby may be scared in the womb. It’s interesting to know how different cultures have different beliefs but overall it is for the betterment of a child.
    Purvi

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI there,
    You found a lot of really interesting information about the Chinese culture that I had never heard of before. I had no idea bout the hot coals or the baby shower after the birth of the baby, but I guess that could have some perks for the new mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI there,
    You found a lot of really interesting information about the Chinese culture that I had never heard of before. I had no idea bout the hot coals or the baby shower after the birth of the baby, but I guess that could have some perks for the new mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara,

    I also looked at the traditions of China and child birth. I found it very interesting and wish we would adopt so of their thoughts.I like the idea of a more spiritual approach to pregnancy and child birth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. I especially liked your quotes by the unknown author and Rajneesh. It seems you adore your nephew and enjoyed being able to partake in his birth. Chinese culture seems rather interesting. I wonder why the grandparents of the newborn cannot see their grandchild until three days later. Is this to give the parents bonding time with their new little one? Thanks for sharing your interesting post!
    Elizabeth Lambert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story touched my heart about the delivery of your nephew, I can almost feel the joy you felt. I can't imagine here what would happen If the grandparents can't visit until after the third day. The information you shared about births in China it was very interesting. I researched South Korea, and I see a few similarities Thanks so much for sharing. I really enjoyed your blog.
      .

      Delete